1_Home_Sidney 2_About_Sidney 3_Lookbook_Sidney 4_SayHello_Sidney 5_Collaborate_Sidney

Monday, March 24, 2014

Homemade Birthday Cake

My husband's birthday was yesterday and he had one request...a homemade birthday cake. Apparently there isn't a bakery in town he trusts to deliver a fabulous tasting cake. So, I put my apron on and got to baking!

Here are a few behind-the-scenes pics of my cake baking skills in action...


+


=


Icing a cake can be a little tricky. I am so glad I got to work on a cake story for Celebrate Magazine where I learned all the do's and don'ts from a professional baker. (You can check out that story here.) I think my cake looks pretty good for an amateur! 

I had to add a little topper to make this cake more festive. I didn't think my husband would want to blow out a bunch of candles so I made these flags instead. All you need is some ribbon and few skewers! 

You may be asking yourself, was that cake any good?? I have to say I was a little disappointed in the cake...the frosting was fabulous though! I tried a new yellow cake recipe and I don't know why I always try to make cake from scratch. I'm starting to think box mix is the way to go. The frosting I made is a tried and true recipe from Barefoot Contessa called Beatty's Chocolate Cake. I highly recommend you try her frosting....along with the cake she pairs it with! 

Happy Baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment